Laser-Vulnerability High-Fidelity Modeling EngineerAlbuquerque, NMLaser-Vulnerability High-Fidelity Modeling Engineer$67,418 to $105,863 (Annually)
- Modeling thermal transport and thermal-mechanical failure in a wide range of materials, components, and systems of interest;
- Duties may require the execution and/or management of high-end, first principal physics problems involving: computational fluid dynamics (CFD) analysis (FLUENT, OpenFOAM, CFD++); structural mechanics analysis (Abaqus, ANSYS, and Sierra Mechanics); or multi-physics simulations.
- Numerical methods of interest may include; Finite Element (FE) and Finite Difference (FD) methods for heat transfer, Finite Volume (FV), Fluid Structure Interaction (FSI), Magneto Hydro-Dynamics (MHD) and Arbitrary Lagrangian Eulerian (ALE) techniques for solving multi-physics problems.
Duty outputs will include the determination of probabilities and confidence intervals associated with simulation results, through uncertainty quantification (SNL’s Dakota), along with verification and validation of new models.
The problem set is diverse and will require the incumbent to learn a variety of disciplines and modeling tools to be effective. Position duties include but are not limited to:
- Collaboration with multi-disciplinary S&E’s
- Preparing and presenting briefings
- Identifying cost, schedule, resources, and performance requirements, developing, managing and reporting contracts
- The incumbent may be called upon to execute and/or manage the input of the higher end models or data from them into higher end wargaming/engagement type codes/models capturing the military utility of advanced laser concepts in a simulated battlespace.
Yes, this position is eligible for telework opportunities; as determined by agency policy
Remote Work (CONUS)
No, this position is not approved for remote work.
Remote Work (Multiple Potential Duty Locations): The duty location for this position can be at the below Duty Locations. Telework options can be negotiated and implemented after entrance on duty
Kirtland AFB, NM
Maximum Telework Flexibilities: The duty location for this position is listed below, however, this position is eligible for maximum telework flexibilities. Telework options can be negotiated and implemented after entrance on duty.
Kirtland AFB, NM
- US Citizenship
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret clearance
- A Bachelor of Science Degree (w/10-yrs experience), or a PhD in Engineering or Science
- Experience with lasers (preference high energy lasers)
- Experience with engagement analysis codes/frameworks (ex: AFSIM, BRAWLER, EADSIM)
- Familiarity with one or more of the following numerical methods: Finite Element/Finite Difference (FE/FD), Fluid Structure Interaction (FSI), Magneto Hydro-Dynamics (MHD), Arbitrary Lagrangian Eulerian (ALE), and Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
- A background in two or more of the following areas: Aerodynamics,Numerical Modeling and Simulation, Statistics, Laser-Materials Interaction, Weapon Lethality Analysis.
- Coding experience with Python, C++ or Matlab and experience with uncertainty quantification analysi
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: To ensure compliance with an applicable nationwide preliminary injunction, which may be supplemented, modified, or vacated, depending on the course of ongoing litigation, the Federal Government will take no action to implement or enforce the COVID-19 vaccination requirement pursuant to Executive Order 14043 on Requiring Coronavirus Disease 2019 Vaccination for Federal Employees. Therefore, to the extent a Federal job announcement includes the requirement that applicants must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 pursuant to Executive Order 14043, that requirement does not currently apply. Federal agencies may request information regarding the vaccination status of selected applicants for the purposes of implementing other workplace safety protocols, such as protocols related to masking, physical distancing, testing, travel, and quarantine.