Product Development Engineer/Principal InvestigatorDayton, OHWe are seeking an experienced Product Development Engineer/Principal Investigator to join our dynamic team in the Air Force Research Laboratory.DR-02: $84,634-$132,895 (with locality) DR-03: $116,808-$165,070 (with locality)
This announcement will be accepting candidate submission until 8 DEC 2023
The Product Development Branch of the 711th Human Performance Wing within the Air Force Research Laboratory (711HPW/RHBA) is looking for an outstanding professional to fill the DR-02/03, Product Development Engineer/Principal Investigator position, in support of the Battlefield Assisted Trauma Documentation Observation Kit (BATDOK) and Rapid Prototype Cell (RPC) programs.
Position Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee funds management and contracting actions for the research program
- Coalesce and communicate stakeholder needs across all levels of leadership to include internal research team leads
- Interface with external organizations providing goods/services to USAF
- Facilitate the defining of engineering and scientific research plans, in support of the Air Force Medical Service strategic goals
- Apply program management principles to research areas and loosely defined requirements where no precedent currently exists
- Provide clear communication of scientific research concepts to non-scientific stakeholders
- Represents the organization at executive levels within the Department of Defense, Industry, and Academic partners to influence scientific decisions or recommend solutions to identified problems.
- Leverage functional support of PK, FM, LG, & Security
- Designs and supports all aspects of experiments involving advancing the Battlefield Assisted Trauma Documentation Observation Kit (BATDOK), a tablet-based data system used to document patient encounters directly from the battlefield to higher roles of care and throughout patient transport (BATDOK) and assisting the Rapid Prototype Cell (RPC) with providing cost effective prototype products and solutions rapidly to demonstrate transferability.
- Plans and carries out work that is well aligned with organizational goals (i.e. Advancing Air & Space Medicine, Improving Airman Readiness & Performance and Progressing Medical Operator Performance Digital Engineering).
- Tasks may include the design, development, data collection, and data analysis involving digital sensors, implementation of machine learning algorithms and computational modeling and simulation, development of telemedicine solutions for future battlespace in a variety of applications.
- Additional job functions include solving customer problems, assist in technical writing, publishing papers, consulting on program requirements, briefing customers, writing proposals, and assisting in marketing AFRL expertise.
- Drive agile cross-functional execution of development in partnership with colleagues in multiple disciplines across government, industry, and academia to create a healthy, high-achieving team.
- Serve as a champion for the voice of our customers, both the individual thinker (end-user) and the organizational client, partnering with contractors, governmental agencies, academia, coalition, and industry partners to gather customer insights and incorporate them into thoughtful design, feature prioritization and go-to-market decisions.Researcher who independently engages with customers/end-users and leads efforts to develop and deliver high value technological solutions and new capabilities to enhance cognitive and physical warfighter performance.
- Experience developing innovative solutions based upon the application of relevant research results from a wide variety of sources. Experienced in digital engineering, agile software, and/or open systems in methods and management.
- Experience in using statistical analysis and machine learning tools and packages. Any programming experience with high-performance computing will be a plus.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in product development or new technology acquisitions, preferably in the aerospace or defense industry.
Yes, this position is eligible for telework opportunities; as determined by agency policy
Maximum Telework Flexibilities: The duty location for this position is listed below, however, this position is eligible for maximum telework flexibilities. Telework options can be negotiated and implemented after entrance on duty.
Wright Patterson AFB, OH
Remote Work (CONUS)
No, this position is not approved for remote work.
- Flexible Length and Renewable Term Technical Appointments. This appointment type is used to appoint individuals who are not currently DoD civilian employees into any scientific, technical, engineering, and mathematic positions, including technicians, for a period of more than one year but not more than six years.
- Recruitment incentives may/may not be authorized
- United States Citizens
- Males must be registered for Selective Service, see www.sss.gov
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret Clearance.
- This is a Testing Designated Position. The incumbent may be subject to pre-employment drug testing as a condition of employment, and participation in random drug testing.
- This position may require travel.
- These are Acquisition Professional Development Program (APDP) positions, and require a Level 2 certification (Practitioner). The selectee will have 24 months to meet APDP requirements or waiver must be obtained.
- General Biological Sciences Individual Occupational Requirement: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0400/general-natural-resources-management-and-biological-sciences-series-0401/
- Professional Engineering Individual Occupational Requirement: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/files/all-professional-engineering-positions-0800.pdf
- SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Applicants must have at least one (1) year or 52 weeks of specialized experience equivalent to DR-02 in the Federal service or equivalent in an alternate pay system.
- Knowledge of Air Force operations, objectives, principles, and methods
- Experience in mission, major issues, program goals and objectives, work processes, and operations of the Directorate
- Foreign Military Sales (FMS) experience
- Logistics management experience
- Experience making consequential Program Management decisions in critical moments
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multitask with strong organizational skills
- Prior experience leading product development and the transition of products to customers, to include developing technology transition plans/agreements
- Previous experience with Defense Health research areas.
- Prior experience in Air Force Research Laboratory in a research capacity
- Knowledge of USAF mission, organizational structure, and operation